How do I change my brush in Photoshop so that it goes from thin to thick and back to thin?

Question by Ari Berry: How do I change my brush in Photoshop so that it goes from thin to thick and back to thin?
I’ve tried changing it using different brush styles but I can’t figure out how everyone else seems to do it. Any help?

Best answer:

Answer by Happy-go-lucky Rita
Are you using any tablet pen with thousand levels of touch sensitivity, which allows you to vary thickness of lines. I use Wacom intuos4 SMALL for my laptop.

I can’t help you with PhotoShop, as I am not a big fan of that software. I use Corel’s Painter that allows me to customize brushes in any way I like. Sometimes I use PhotoShop for some things.
A lot of digital artists work back and forth between PhotoShop and Painter. My artist sister does it too in a publishing company. Painter has a greater range of brushes than PhotoShop. Besides, you can customize your brushes there.

Painter 11 is very compatible with PhotoShop (both softwares are sisters invented by Mark Zimmer). You can open your PhotoShop files in Painter and work therein. After saving files, you can re-open them in PhotoShop, with all their layers and masks intact.
Painter can recognise PhotoShop files’ layers, masks, etc. In Painter, you can actually open new file and save it as any of PhotoShop formats.

You’ll love Painter as it is the most artist-friendly software you can ever find – and you’ll love their range of brushes as well.
By the way, the interface in Painter is somewhat similiar to that of PhotoShop. Some tools are similar as well. If you know your PhotoShop, then you can easily familiarize yourself with Painter.

I leave you with the links below:
Painter 11 official website
You can download the free trial of Painter 11 for 30 days. Painter Magazines
Painter Tips & Tricks
Speed painting videos: Digital Painting with Corel Painter 11
Painter tutorials by Corel.

Painter 11 tutorials on YouTube.

You can go to Youtube for PhotoShop tutorials.

@Edit. You might want to see ImagineFX magazine online. It has PhotoShop and Painter tutorials and showcases of digital artworks.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

0 thoughts on “How do I change my brush in Photoshop so that it goes from thin to thick and back to thin?

  1. You need a pressure sensitive tablet to accurately reproduce a natural stroke.

    Here’s a quick n’ dirty way to do it if you don’t have a tablet:
    1. Use the pen tool to create a path.
    2. Right click on it and select “stroke path”
    3. Select “brush” from the drop down menu (it will use whatever brush you have currently selected)
    4. Click “simulate pressure.”
    5. Press enter.

    This produces a pretty mechanical-looking stroke, but it’s thin-thick-thin like you wanted.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *