Photoshop 7 on PC, how to cover holes in photo?

There are lots of staple holes in a photo. What I want to do is get the Paint brush to use the background color (a mix of color and dust) and then go over (paste) over the holes. (I tried the Marquee tool, but it is time consuming to do and leaves a square outline.) Any help is appreciated.
Sorry for delay. My orig file was 300,000, now I am at 1,600,000 and I can’t open it. I ordered more RAM.